Sherlock Holmes author’s struggle
The author of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle, was frustrated that his other works were overshadowed by the popularity of Holmes series. He killed Sherlock Holmes in the final book and ended the series.
Since then, there were enormous letters of complaints sent to Doyle and the publishing company. The citizens in London even wore a black ribbon that they wore for a funeral. When Doyle was taking a walk, an old couple beat him with an umbrella for killing Sherlock Holmes. Also from the US, he got thousands of calls and letters.
Doyle wrote a letter to his mother and said he was having a hard time with the complaints. His mother replied, “I see, son. But why did you kill Holmes?”
After a few years, Doyle ended up continuing the series and said that Sherlock Holmes was actually pretending to be dead. He said, “Even if I killed a real person, I wouldn’t have gotten this much of hate.”
Pann: Author who almost got killed for killing the main character
1. [+67, -0] “Even if I killed a real person, I wouldn’t have gotten this much of hate.” ㅋㅋㅋㅋ It must’ve been hard for him but it’s cute for some reason.
2. [+40, -0] ㅋㅋ But it’s amazing how he made a character that people became very affectionate to
3. [+38, -0] The mother is daebak ㅋㅋ “I see, son. But why did you kill Holmes?” ㅋㅋㅋ
4. [+15, -0] As a stan of Holmes, I knew it was gonna be about Arthur Conan Doyle ㅋㅋ
5. [+6, -0] Watching Conan made me realize that Sherlock Holmes is an amazing work
6. [+5, -0] I knew who it was gonna be when I read the title ㅋㅋ I was also like “what the fuck???” when Holmes died ㅋㅋ